Executive Coaching and Supervision
Why do you need to prepare for an Interview ?
You are looking for a job, have passed the pre-selection stage and are now invited to an interview. The email you have received indicates that it will be a Competency Based Interview (CBI). You are puzzled. What is that?
What is a Competency Based Interview?
Competency-based interviews (also called structured interviews) are interviews where each question is designed to test one or more specific skills. The answer is then matched against pre-decided criteria and marked accordingly. Candidates are asked questions relating to their behaviour in specific circumstances, which they then need to back up with concrete examples. The interviewers will then dig further into the examples by asking for specific explanations about the candidate's behaviour or skills.
Why do I need to prepare for it?
Unlike unstructured or biographical interview, you will have to demonstrate your proficiency in the requested competency by illustrating it with one of your past experiences. Preparation is key if you want to be able to answer all questions thrown at you without having to think too much on the spot on the day of the interview; it requires several steps:
- Make sure that you understand which skills and competencies will be tested.
- Identify examples from your past experience which you can use to demonstrate that you possess the skills and competencies that you are being asked to demonstrate.
- Learn to narrate the story using the STAR method. This means setting the scene, explaining how you handled the situation by placing the emphasis on your role, and detailing the outcome/result.
What Akili Vantage offers?
Structured around a set of three to four one-on-one interview coaching sessions based on your needs, you will:
- Understand the approach of the type of interviews (CBI, and situational)
- Understand the competencies and in particular the expected level of proficiency (CEO position might require similar competencies as other management positions but with a different proficiency)
- Learn how to structure and personalise your answer to ensure you demonstrate the competency proficiency at its highest level.
- Practice answering interview question using mock interviews including CBI
- Receive personal feedback and discuss constructive approaches to improve your performance
- Identify and address issues relating to confidence, body language and common interview stress.